Fantasy Community - Sweet Lament
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Blood, the Last Vampire
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 am by Aphrodite

» 01/10/09 - Development / Beta Stage 5
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:08 am by Aphrodite

» Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm by Despina

» Animated Foods
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm by Aphrodite

» LoTR Parody - Prt 1
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 1:45 am by Despina

» Introduction~
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 am by Despina

» David Gemmel
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 pm by Darkchild

» Eliza Duskhu Fan Club! lol
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 pm by Seisoku

» Hello there!
Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:30 pm by Seisoku

Gallery

Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles Empty
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 36 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am
Statistics
We have 9 registered users
The newest registered user is clobpay

Our users have posted a total of 67 messages in 28 subjects

Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles

2 posters

Go down

Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles Empty Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles

Post  Despina Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:43 am

Recently I've found out Anne Rice and her Vampire Chronicles (along with other series), because I've heard that those are the books the Twilight series were copied from. So I pick up the first book of the Vampire Chronicles- Interview with the vampire- and I'm amazed! I'm currently on the second one, The Vampire Lestat. I've also read Pandora which is in the New Tales of the Vampires series (which was a bit hard to understand since I've read that one first- don't do that mistake xD). Basically, it's something worth reading. Those are old books, the Interview was published in 1976.
Here's the general plot:

This is the story of the Louis, as told in his own words, of his journey through mortal and immortal life. Louis recounts how he became a vampire at the hands of the radiant and sinister Lestat and how he became indoctrinated, unwillingly, into the vampire way of life. His story ebbs and flows through the streets of New Orleans, defining crucial moments such as his discovery of the exquisite lost young child Claudia, wanting not to hurt but to comfort her with the last breaths of humanity he has inside. Yet, he makes Claudia a vampire, trapping her womanly passion, will, and intelligence inside the body of a small child. Louis and Claudia form a seemingly unbreakable alliance and even "settle down" for a while in the opulent French Quarter. Louis remembers Claudia's struggle to understand herself and the hatred they both have for Lestat that sends them halfway across the world to seek others of their kind. Louis and Claudia are desperate to find somewhere they belong, to find others who understand, and someone who knows what and why they are.

Louis and Claudia travel Europe, eventually coming to Paris and the ragingly successful Theatre des Vampires--a theatre of vampires pretending to be mortals pretending to be vampires. Here they meet the magnetic and ethereal Armand, who brings them into a whole society of vampires. But Louis and Claudia find that finding others like themselves provides no easy answers and in fact presents dangers they scarcely imagined.

Originally begun as a short story, the book took off as Anne wrote it, spinning the tragic and triumphant life experiences of a soul. As well as the struggles of its characters, Interview captures the political and social changes of two continents. The novel also introduces Lestat, Anne's most enduring character, a heady mixture of attraction and revulsion. The book, full of lush description, centers on the themes of immortality, change, loss, sexuality, and power.
Despina
Despina

Back to top Go down

Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles Empty Re: Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles

Post  Aphrodite Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:37 pm

I never really got into vampire stories. I love the whole powerplay idea that goes with the genre, that women are powerless to vampires and their sexual desires, but it just feels so samey to me.

I have never read these books though. I might just add it to my expanding list of 'To Read' books that I am seeming to acquire. I just need the time now.

I think I will just have Tom Cruises face in my mind if I read these and I am not really a fan. I think that is the disadvantage of reading a book if you have seen the film first. I am so glad I read LotR both before and after I saw the films. It is good to have you own idea first.

I have a two week holiday coming up though, so lots of time to read. Razz
Aphrodite
Aphrodite
Administrator

https://sweetlament.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles Empty Re: Anne Rice writings- The Vampire Chronicles

Post  Despina Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I didn't even know that the movie was made until about a week ago Razz
About the book- it doesn't even revolve as much about the fact that they have immense power, everyone (mere mortals) is nothing to them and all that.
The book(s) have this... thing about them, the characters question their own lives, their psyche and how they're try understanding it, trying to separate good and evil and such. It's really interesting how A. Rice wrote all the different personalities. I've found it the best part of it all.

Enjoyed my time with it, but each to his own :3
Despina
Despina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down